Friday, August 31, 2007

Older Children in the Sling

My friend's 3-year-old in her Lucky Baby Sling

When many people think of baby slings, they think of only carrying their newborn in it. In truth, you can carry your child until they're about 35 pounds or about 3 years old. Really what happens is that by the time they're just too heavy to carry in the sling they stop wanting to be carried in it anyway (that toddler independence thing kicks in). It works out well. I've carried my children until they were well into toddlerhood. And after 18 months of age you can put them on your back!

The drive to Costco from my home is just far enough that I can pretty much count on my 11-month-old falling asleep everytime we drive there. What is it about that car ride? I'm just glad she can still sleep soundly in her Lucky Baby Sling, feet dangling out all over the place, and have her nice nap while I load up for the next month in the store.



Don't give up putting your little one asleep in the sling just because they're getting bigger. They're comfy and warm and you're saving your back! I find it easiest to prop them up on my shoulder, then slide them down into the sling bum first when they're this big. Give it a try!

5 comments:

Chellie said...

My baby is only 4 months old and I am so excited about the versatility of this sling. It's nice to know such a small investment will last my baby such a long time! Because as we all know babies don't keep and they grow out of carriers, carseats, clothes, etc so fast. I love the fact that I am going to put this to use for years!

Anonymous said...

Do you have to get a larger sling as your baby grows? My baby seems to large to fit in the sling (He's 17 lbs) I feel like I'm squishing him! Can you give me any tips? (I have a small sling, but I am a small woman and it worked fine when he was a newborn)

Lucky Baby Slings said...

I get asked this question a lot so I'm glad you've asked it here. You shouldn't need a bigger sling as the baby grows. It's just that you need new positions - like the hip carry and tummy to tummy carry. When an older child is in the lying down position you really do have to work with their legs so that they can fit in the sling while sleeping. Put their bum in first, then the head and then let the legs dangle a little bit. I sometimes like to have the arm of the child that's closest to my body, out of the sling and wrapped around my side, which helps too.

Let me know if this helps!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I've been looking into slings for my 1 year old ever since she was sick recently and wanted to be carried all day long! Thanks for info on carrying older babies.
~Christy

Anonymous said...

I just bought my sling because my daughter is a large 8 month old. She doesn't fit other slings. I tried it for the first time yesterday, and its wonderful! I have such a hard time getting her to sit stil, and she always wants to be held. I only wish I had gotten one when she was younger! A great baby gift.